• If you were given a breath test to determine how much alcohol was in your system when you were arrested, you only have seven days to request a DMV hearing or your license will be revoked or suspended. Obtaining a DUI lawyer first is beneficial because the DUI lawyer will file the request and represent you at this administrative hearing.
The Nevada Department of Motor Vehicles automatically imposes a three month suspension of the defendant’s driver’s license, but after 45 days the DMV will offer a restricted license, and your DUI lawyer will help with this. They will also work to see if they can reduce the sentence to reckless driving. This is beneficial in several ways.
- A reckless driver conviction is a driving offense, so the stigma of a DUI will not be seen by employers or others who make inquiries into your record.
- If arrested again for another DUI, it will not show as a second DUI, which has harsher penalties.
- A reckless driving conviction adds eight points to the driver’s license, but is not suspended.
- A reckless driving conviction may be expunged after two years; first DUIs must wait seven years.
To discuss the charges of the arrest, contact an experienced defense lawyer at Potter Criminal Law Firm in Las Vegas. Schedule a free consultation at 702-997-1774.